Van life has become a popular lifestyle choice for those seeking freedom, adventure, and a simpler way of living. Whether you’re a full-time nomad or someone who enjoys occasional road trips, van life offers a unique experience of living on the move. When it comes to choosing a van for your conversion, a high top conversion van provides numerous benefits that make it perfect for camper van life.
Choosing the Right Conversion Van
Before diving into the advantages of high top conversion vans, it’s essential to consider various factors when selecting the right van for your needs. These factors include the required space, different vehicle models and options available, roof heights and shapes, engine types, fuel efficiency, and maintenance costs.
Among the popular models suitable for conversion are the Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, Ram Promaster, Ford E-Series, Ford Transit Connect, and Iveco Daily. Each offers its unique features and benefits, catering to different preferences and requirements.
|Up to 4,650 lbs
|Up to 7,500 lbs
|Up to 542 cu ft
|$35,000 – $45,000
|Up to 5,140 lbs
|Up to 7,500 lbs
|Up to 532 cu ft
|$40,000 – $60,000
|Up to 4,680 lbs
|Up to 6,910 lbs
|Up to 462 cu ft
|$30,000 – $40,000
|Up to 3,660 lbs
|Up to 10,000 lbs
|Up to 275 cu ft
|$30,000 – $40,000
|Ford Transit Connect
|Up to 1,570 lbs
|Up to 2,000 lbs
|Up to 145 cu ft
|$25,000 – $35,000
|Up to 7,700 lbs
|Up to 7,700 lbs
|Up to 540 cu ft
|$40,000 – $60,000
Flexibility in travel and accommodation
Van Life provides the ultimate travel and accommodation plan flexibility. With the ability to change your plans at any moment and easily travel wherever you want, van life offers a unique and exciting experience. And with a high top conversion van, the possibilities for adventure are endless.
One of the biggest advantages of van life is the ease of having your living arrangements with you wherever you go. With a conversion van, you essentially have a mobile home on wheels, making it possible to camp in a wide variety of locations. From traditional campsites to parking lots, and even on the side of the road, you have the freedom to choose your own adventure.
Regarding accommodation options, van life offers a range of choices. Traditional camping is always an option, but for those seeking a more urban experience, urban camping can be just as attractive. City parks, industrial areas, and even residential streets can all be utilized for overnight stays. And for the more adventurous traveler, stealth camping and boondocking in remote locations can provide an exhilarating experience.
No matter what your travel style is, van life provides the ultimate flexibility to explore the world on your own terms. So why not take the plunge and join the millions of van lifers already experiencing the freedom and adventure of life on the road?
A minimalistic lifestyle is a key aspect of the vanlife movement. Those who choose to live this lifestyle strive to reduce their living expenses, possessions, and environmental impacts to a minimum.
By doing so, they make more room for experiences and freedom, which is why vanlife is becoming increasingly popular. Through downsizing their lifestyles, vanlife enthusiasts are able to escape the conventional norms of society and create their own unique, sustainable way of life.
One of the most significant benefits of a minimalistic lifestyle in the vanlife community is the reduction of living expenses. By living in a van, individuals save money on rent and utility bills, leaving more funds for experiences and travel. This lifestyle also means reducing their environmental impact as vanlife enthusiasts aim to cut down on excess consumption and lower their carbon footprint.
When it comes to choosing what belongings to bring, it’s essential to prioritize functionality, durability, and versatility. Some of the essential items to include in a van while maintaining a minimalistic lifestyle are a comfortable bed, a small stove, a portable cooler, and a water tank. Additionally, personal necessities such as clothes and hygiene products must be compact and essential only.
Multi-functionality is essential in maximizing the 24 square feet of living space. Furnishings or products with multiple purposes such as a bench that can also be used for storage, tables that fold down into a bed or a countertop that also serves as a cutting board, are great examples. The vanlife community often shares ingenious, creative ways to optimize space in their homes on social media platforms such as Instagram and Youtube.
The Advantages of High Top Conversion Vans
- Increased interior space: One of the primary advantages of a high top conversion van is the additional interior space it offers. With higher roof heights, these vans provide ample headroom, allowing occupants to stand and move comfortably inside. The extra vertical space also enables the inclusion of plenty of storage cabinets and shelves, making it easier to keep your belongings organized.
- Better comfort and convenience: High top conversion vans provide better sleeping arrangements and overall comfort. The increased headspace allows for the installation of beds or sleeping lofts, providing a comfortable resting place during your travels. Additionally, the additional height allows for more substantial windows, creating a brighter and more open living space.
- Off-road capabilities: If you enjoy exploring rugged terrains and venturing off the beaten path, a high top conversion van is an excellent choice. With increased ground clearance, these vans can tackle uneven surfaces and navigate forest roads more easily. The off-road capabilities of high top conversion vans allow you to access remote locations and enjoy nature’s beauty.
- Fuel efficiency considerations: When choosing a conversion van, fuel efficiency is an important factor to consider. Many high top conversion vans offer both gas and diesel engine options, each with its advantages. Diesel engines are known for their fuel efficiency and reliability, making them ideal for long-distance travel. Additionally, the rise of electric vehicles has brought forth electric conversion van options, providing an eco-friendly alternative for those conscious of their carbon footprint.
- Customization and personalization: High top conversion vans offer a blank slate for customization and personalization. You can design the interior layout to suit your specific needs and preferences. Whether you prioritize a spacious kitchen, a comfortable lounge area, or a functional workspace, the customization options are endless. Additions such as solar panels, electrical systems, and water storage can further enhance your van life experience.
Factors to Consider When Converting a High Top Van
Converting a high top van into a livable space requires careful planning and consideration. Here are some factors to keep in mind during the conversion process:
- Budget considerations: Conversion vans come in a range of prices, and it’s important to determine your budget before beginning the conversion. Consider both the upfront cost of the van and the additional expenses involved in the conversion process, such as insulation, electrical systems, and furniture.
- DIY vs. professional conversions: Decide whether you want to undertake the conversion yourself or hire professionals. DIY conversions offer a more hands-on experience and allow for greater customization, but they require time, effort, and specialized knowledge. Professional conversions ensure a high-quality finish but come at a higher cost.
- Designing the interior layout: Efficiently utilizing the available space is crucial in a conversion van. Consider the placement of essential components such as the bed, kitchen, bathroom, and storage. Design the layout to maximize functionality and ensure easy movement within the van.
- Insulation and climate control: Proper insulation is vital to maintain comfortable temperatures inside the van. Use insulation materials that offer good thermal and sound insulation properties. Consider climate control options such as fans, vents, and heaters to ensure a comfortable living environment regardless of the outside conditions.
- Electrical systems and power supply: Determine your power requirements and design an electrical system accordingly. Solar panels coupled with battery banks are a popular choice for van life, providing a sustainable and independent power source. Ensure your system can handle the load of appliances such as refrigerators, lighting, and charging stations.
Safety and Legal Considerations
When converting a high top van, it’s important to consider safety and legal aspects:
- Weight restrictions and load capacity: Be mindful of weight limits imposed by the vehicle manufacturer. Overloading the van can lead to unsafe driving conditions and mechanical issues. Distribute the weight evenly to maintain proper balance.
- Height restrictions and parking limitations: High top conversion vans may have height restrictions when it comes to certain parking structures or low clearance areas. Plan your routes and parking accordingly to avoid any inconvenience or damage to the van.
- Rear-Wheel vs. Front-wheel Drives: Rear-wheel drive (RWD) and front-wheel drive (FWD) are two different types of drivetrains found in cars. Rear-wheel drive means that the engine’s power is transmitted to the rear wheels, which then turn the vehicle.
This system provides better acceleration and handling, especially in sports cars and performance vehicles. RWD vehicles are also better for towing and off-road driving since the weight of the car is distributed more evenly. However, RWD cars can be more challenging to handle in wet or icy conditions. On the other hand, front-wheel drive means that the engine’s power is transmitted to the front wheels, which pull the car forward. This system is more common in smaller vehicles and provides better fuel economy and traction in wet or icy conditions.
FWD cars also have better interior space since the drivetrain is located in the front of the car. However, FWD cars are not as good for performance driving and can have issues with torque steer, or the tendency of the vehicle to pull in one direction during acceleration.
Ultimately, the choice between RWD and FWD depends on the driver’s preferences and needs. Some drivers prefer the handling and performance of RWD cars, while others prioritize fuel efficiency and safety in FWD cars.
- Insurance and registration: Ensure your converted van meets all legal requirements for insurance and registration. Notify your insurance provider about the modifications made to the van to ensure adequate coverage. Familiarize yourself with local regulations regarding the use of converted vans for habitation.
A high top conversion van provides the perfect combination of space, comfort, and versatility for van life enthusiasts. With increased interior space, better comfort, off-road capabilities, and customization options, these vans offer a unique living experience on the road. Consider the various factors involved in choosing and converting a high top van to create your ideal home on wheels and embark on unforgettable adventures.
Can I convert any van into a high top conversion van?
While it is possible to convert various van models into high top conversion vans, not all vans are suitable for such modifications. High top conversions require sufficient headroom, which may not be achievable in vans with limited roof heights or unconventional shapes. It’s important to choose a base vehicle that provides the necessary space and structural integrity for the conversion.
Are high top conversion vans suitable for long road trips?
Absolutely! High top conversion vans are designed to provide comfort and convenience during long road trips. With ample storage space, proper sleeping arrangements, and added headroom, these vans offer a cozy and functional living space on the go. They are equipped to handle the challenges of extended travel and ensure a comfortable experience throughout the journey.
How much does it cost to convert a high top van?
The cost of converting a high top van can vary widely depending on various factors, including the level of customization, materials used, and whether you choose a DIY approach or hire professionals. On average, a basic conversion can range from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. It’s crucial to establish a budget and plan the conversion process accordingly.
Are high top conversion vans fuel-efficient?
The fuel efficiency of high top conversion vans depends on the specific model and engine type chosen. Diesel engines generally offer better fuel economy compared to gas engines, making them a popular choice among van lifers. Additionally, the rise of electric conversion vans provides an even more fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly option for those looking to reduce their carbon footprint.
Can I park a high top conversion van in a regular parking space?
Due to their increased height, high top conversion vans may not fit in regular parking spaces with low clearance. It’s important to consider height restrictions and plan your parking accordingly. However, many parking lots, campgrounds, and designated van life areas provide accommodations for larger vehicles, including high top conversion vans. Always be mindful of local regulations and choose parking spaces that accommodate the dimensions of your van.